If you are prepping for your first photoshoot you probably have a couple questions about what to expect. A common concern for people having their photos taken for the first time is what to wear.
1. What is the purpose of the photoshoot?This should be your first thought when deciding what to wear. Choose an appropriate outfit for the occasion and something that suits your personality.
2. Keep the location & season in mind.Where is the photoshoot taking place? Choose an outfit that will keep you feeling comfortable and confident. For example, if you’re on a beach, those new high heels might not be the most logical choice and you might end up looking a bit out of place.
3. Mix and match.Don’t be afraid to wear patterns or prints for your photoshoot but keep them to a minimum and try to pair them with solid colors. If you’re having a family photoshoot for example, have two family members in printed items and two in solid colors. Play with different colors to match the mood and setting of the shoot.
4. Make your photos timeless.You might love that trendy top or pair of pants now but will your photos stand the test of time if you wear that item of clothing?
5. What to do about makeup.This would depend on the type of photos you are taking. Fashion shoots will call for more dramatic makeup but for your everyday maternity, family or portrait shoots, keep your makeup natural and to a minimum.
6. Fit is more important that you think.If you already have an outfit in mind for your shoot, try it on before the time to make sure that it fits correctly and compliments your body type.
7. Try not to go brand crazy.Wearing too much clothing with prominent brand names just makes you look like a walking ad. Clothing with large graphics on it also doesn’t work well as it will end up being the focus of your photos.
Remember to have fun on your photoshoot, be yourself and don’t hesitate to ask your photographer for guidance.
I’d love to hear what top tips you have, leave them in the comments below!